It’s possible to cast videos and music from a Windows PC to Kodi transforming your Kodi box into a poor man’s Chromecast. Windows devices can cast or stream content by leveraging a browser plugin for Chrome or FireFox. For example, it’s possible to stream Netflix or Hulu from a Windows computer to a HTPC or Android box running Kodi. In order to take advantage of this functionality a few features must be enabled within Kodi.
Enabling AirPlay, UPnP, and DLNA functionality in Kodi
Before Kodi can be used to support casting, Airplay, UPnP, and DLNA must be enabled. In the case of Kodi running on Windows computer ( such as an HTPC), I recommend downloading and installing Apple’s Bonjour Print Services for Windows. Bonjour is an open-source network service discovery protocol which allows devices to locate Kodi instances on your network. Bonjour is not required for casting from Android, but it will make discovering Kodi much easier.
- OPTIONAL: Browse to this Apple Knowledge Base Article to download and install the Bonjour Print Services for Windows application. Reboot the computer after installation.
- Launch Kodi.
- Navigate to Settings→ Services.
- Under General, enable Announce services to other systems.
- Select Control and enable Allow remote control via HTTP, enable Allow remote control from applications on this system, and enable Allow remote control from applications on other systems.
- Select UPnP / DLNA and enable Share my libraries and enable Allow remote control via UPnP.
- Select AirPlay and enable AirPlay support and enable AirPlay Videos and Picture support. AirPlay isn’t required for Android device casting but it will allow any iOS devices to cast Audio to Kodi.
Casting or streaming from a PC
Browser plugins are a great way to cast media from Chrome or FireFox to a Kodi box on your network. Below are a few examples.
Play To Kodi for Chrome browser allows you to cast numerous streaming services such as YouTube, CollegeHumor, eBaumsWorld, LiveLeak, Twitch.tv, Hulu and even magnet links.
Let me know how you stream from a PC to Kodi in the comments below.